Junior Graphics Editor (R10003082)
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
National Geographic The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone. JOB DESCRIPTION
Assists Senior Graphics Editors in the execution of their information graphics. Initiates and completes thorough production checks of National Geographic Magazine maps and graphics. Creates and edits information graphics for Magazine and its website. Creates original, publication-quality, scientifically-accurate art and illustrations for National Geographic stories. Proposes, reports, and executes stand-alone alternative web story forms off the news of the day.
* Create original maps/graphics for NGM print and web, as well as NG News for the web
* Fulfill mandate to include maps/graphics in most NGM stories and NG News.
* Conduct rigorous production checks of maps/graphics created by senior graphic editors; de-gates NGM gatefold map/graphics for foreign partners. Convert NGM print map/graphics to web versions for NG website.
* Assure map/graphics are optimized for print. De-gating of NGM gatefold map/graphics converts files to useable formats for foreign editions. Conversion of NGM map/graphics files fulfills mandate to include these files in the online edition of NGM.
* Assist Senior Graphics Editors in the execution of their information graphics as needed through illustration, coding, editing, art directing and writing.
* Adds efficiency to the graphics group's map/graphic creation process.
* BS/BA in Science, Fine or Applied Arts, Cartography or Journalism
* English; second language is helpful (Spanish)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.