The Sumter Item
The Sumter Item
The Sumter Item is looking for energetic multimedia journalists committed to helping our staff reinvent local media in Sumter and the surrounding region. The journalist will join our growing multimedia team in producing local content through both print and online programming. The applicant will be eager to pitch story ideas and collaborate with other staff to produce engaging multimedia content. The ideal candidate is a bold visionary who enjoys experimenting with new ways to tell stories through print, video, social, podcasts and digital media. The position may involve evening and/or weekend work. Experience with Adobe InDesign, graphic design and/or the Adobe Production Suite is highly preferred.
The Sumter Item is located in the heart of downtown Sumter within walking distance to numerous shops and restaurants. Offering a variety of local events throughout the year, Sumter is also a quick drive to South Carolina’s coastal and entertainment destinations.
In addition to the more than 100,000 residents of Sumter County, The Sumter Item also covers and delivers to the nearby counties of Lee and Clarendon. As a 124-year-old family-owned organization, it is the oldest newspaper of its kind in the state, boasting a creative flexibility rare to local media organizations. The parent company – Osteen Publishing – also owns newspapers in Alabama, Florida and New Mexico.
The Sumter Item print edition is delivered every Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We also publish a litany of niche, seasonal and annual magazines throughout the community. Additionally, our website – TheItem.com – is the area’s most-visited local media website, and our daily video show, Sumter Today, is the premier local video show in Sumter.
The Sumter Item offers a competitive compensation plan; life, health, dental, disability plans and 401(k) plan, and an opportunity for advancement.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- College Degree required, preferably in the field of Journalism.
- Experience covering local and regional stories ranging from news, entertainment, features, or sports.
- Consistent news judgment for a local audience and an interest in emerging technology.
- Ability to work well with others in a high-pressure, professional environment.
- A desire to take risks and willingness to adapt.
- A positive, collaborative attitude and a strong sense of humor.
- Experience with graphic design, Adobe InDesign or video editing is a plus.
- Experience with innovative forms of multimedia storytelling are all a plus.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and writing/video clips to our Publisher, Vince Johnson, at email@example.com